Monday, August 25, 2014



In our society we have people who are introverts.  Contrary to what people think, an introvert is not a person who is shy.  In fact introversion has nothing to do with shyness.  An introvert is a person who is energized by being alone.  I am one of such a person.  I love my own company as it gives me an opportunity to escape into the world of fantasy.  One time a friend invited me to a get-together lunch.  In the gathering, I met women who were more talkative and joyous than me.  They were talking, laughing loudly and cracking what appeared to me as 'nonsense' jokes.  I left the place completely drained and irritated.  My friend who is more outgoing, seemed to have enjoyed every moment of the get-together, and could not understand why I did not feel the same.  "You have to learn to live with other people," she told me plainly.  But I could not learn even when I tried.  Apparently, I am not shy.  Given the chance, I have stood in crowds and delivered short speeches.  I have been a dramatist in school.  I have stood in a crowd to mimic a piece of work written by someone. There are times I have been tempted to compare myself with my peers who are extroverts and richer than I.  I felt that may be they are richer because they are extroverts and more aggressive about getting what they want done.  However, the little research I have done on introverts shows that even introverts have potential to get rich.  I only need to discover who I am, and what I am able to do, and explore it.

Introverts prefer to talk less and listen more.  They innovate but dislike self-promotion.  In whatever they do they are not after publicity or praise.  They prefer to work on their own rather than in teams.  In a book entitled 'QUIET' by Susan Cain, she argues that introverts are undervalued which is tragic.  She has introduced us introverts who have been great leaders that have contributed a lot to the society.

If you are one of those who have looked down upon introverts, you may need to change your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment